Saturday, December 27, 2008

Can I live in America without China?

I would love to try not buying anything from China for a year, heck I would love to buy only Made In America but I don't think that is possible, there is simply not enough items made here. I know that my husband will not participate and I will buy my daughter toys, it wouldn't be practical, but maybe I could just not buy Chinese stuff for me.

As I look at my married man's lingerie and I check the labels, Ed Hardy shirt - Made In USA, Juicy pants - Made In Glamorous USA (awesome! 2 out of 3 so far) and my Australian Uggs, well that's a no brainer, right? They must be made in Australia - I check the label and there it was...... Made In China.


I'm not happy about my boots but it's my own fault for assuming where they were made, I'm not going to check all the labels in my closet, if I'm going to remove them what's the point? Maybe now I'll check the labels even if I think I know where they are made.


Okay, so here is my plan, try to buy American made products when possible even if it has Chinese parts. (If it's assembled here at least Americans are employed) If I can't find it with Made In USA then I will buy it from any other country but China. And let's see how long I can make it, the family in the book went a full year and that is what my goal will be.


But what if I need a new cell phone? A new DVD player? Does any other country make those things?

No comments:

Post a Comment